Monday, February 15, 2010

THE OOOOTTTHHER SIIIIIDDDE!!

Watched Studio Ghibli's Whisper of the Heart today. Exceptional stuff, as is per norm with Ghibli. Dream sequences were incredibly inspiring, too. Although its a damn shame I watched its spin-off, The Cat Returns first. All this week Film4 are showing Ghibli films early in the morning. Plan on watching Porco Rosso and My Neighbour Totoro...

Also got around to seeing The Princess and the Frog last week. I was more than delighted to experience a return to traditional animation in Disney, and they were on top-form with this. Great musical numbers, lovely classical animation and character designs, and brilliant voice-acting too. Some suprisingly dark elements (well, dark compared to Disney's usual formula).
Dr. Facilier was such a fucking badass and stole the show for me. I mean, you can't top a black voodoo doctor voiced by Keith Davids!!! Up there with Hades and Captain Hook as best Disney villains, without doubt! Actually, just typing this is inspiring me to draw some Facilier fanart. Hmm...

No comments: